Friday, November 10, 2017

Multitasking



For many years now being able to multitask has been a requirement if you were to be hired for that new job. Being able to complete multiple tasks at once is a necessary skillset for a successful career. We have all trained ourselves to have the ability to quickly shift our attention between moving tasks, and have fooled ourselves into thinking that we like this type of behavior. Do not get me wrong multitasking has its place. Parenthood would not be survivable, for them, or us if we only had the ability to complete one task at a time. But not only have we foolishly trained ourselves that we like this type of behavior in the workforce, and used multitasking to ensure the survival of the human race, we practice this style of approach for most of our daily life tasks.

We start making supper then we start the dishes all the while helping someone with their homework or a project they are working on. We walk and text. We juggle listening to our partner talk about their day as we are typing a text message to our friend about tomorrows lunch date. From the moment we wake up in the morning to the last goodnight at the end of the day, we have filled every moment with multitasking.

And I do not know about you but frankly I am exhausted.

The good news is the gig is up for this type of hustle bustle. We are beginning to discover that this constant behavior is not that efficient, and can even be harmful to our long-term health. There are instances when we have to do more than one thing at a time to make it to the end of the day, I get that, I live that but we should also be spending time singal tasking.

I have been following and learning from Elaine Tobin as she shares her busy country life with us, and she has recently written two articles about slow living for Life Plus Magazine. Her latest article The Art of Single Tasking is the spark behind today's post. One of Elaine’s suggestions was to start with washing the dishes and here was where I started practicing the art of single tasking.

For most people, myself included, washing the dishes is the drudgery of the day. We rush through them so that we can move on to that next task. While our hands are soapy and the dishes fling past from their state of dirty to a state of being ready to use again, our brains are thinking of five things we should be doing instead, and what we will be doing next. We are always thinking about what is next. The moment I put ‘next’ aside and focused on this one thing, this one task, I could feel a bit of relief start to grow.

I washed each piece of dirty glassware and silverware, each plate with intention and purpose. Washing the dishes became the only thing I allowed my mind to think about, if a notion of the next task came into my thoughts, I quickly pushed it out and went back to washing the dishes.

In the end, this task did not take me any longer than normal to complete. I however seemed to have a greater sense of accomplishment. There was a calmness within myself as I hung the dishtowel up to dry.

My friends, if you are someone who works outside of the home to earn dollars, keep maintaining those strong multitasking skills, the cogs of the wheels turning are depending on you. If you are a parent who is still actively raising your children keep multitasking, our survival is counting on you and them. As for the rest of the time in your daily lives, slow it down, breathe, and enjoy each task one at a time for the gifts that they bring. At the end of the day, you will rest easier with a higher sense of contentment and fulfillment.

Single task yourself to a happier healthier you. And remember to share the love with those you love!

...

No comments: