Thursday, November 20, 2008

Addictions


Addictions are hard to endure. Compulsive actions are hard to control. If these actions become a hindrance to your everyday routine or these actions impede on another persons space or rights than you should make a change. I am not fit to stand on the pulpit and preach. I am not here to judge only to share.

There are times when my body craves that smoke from a cigar or cigarette, that sip of wine, that piece of chocolate, bread hot from the oven slathered in butter or a warm cup of rich dark coffee with fresh cream. All those things that when you have to much of is... well wonderful at first.

Everything in moderation! Everything that we do or eat should be taken in small doses.

The toughest of the common addictions would have to be alcohol and cigarettes. They change your body chemistry overtime creating a psychological as well as an emotional need for consumption. Nicotine creates a stimulation of adrenaline, which raises the blood pressure, heart rate and on average it takes about ten seconds for the substance to reach the brain creating the compulsive desire to smoke. It is the single most important preventable risk to human health.

As for alcohol addictions I must save that topic for another day.

If you quit once before you can again! If you have never stopped since you started, you can do it, be a quitter! Think of those loved ones that are around you everyday, seeing your actions, breathing your second hand. To all those in my life who are smokers: I love you and care about your long term health. For each of you I have reasons as to why YOU should muster up the strength to put the cigarettes down and walk away. And promise me that when next fall rolls around and I am craving a cigarette, please, please remind me of my words today.

1 comment:

CJ said...

My hubby has once again been taken over by the addiction of nicotine. I have such a distaste for smoking that it's hard for me to understand it. After packaging the window did you all have a nice drag? HA! HA!

My struggle is food! My cholesterol is elevated again. I'm trying to get back to running and eating better. It's going to be tough with the holidays approaching and seasonal goodies everywhere I go tempting me with their sweetness! I love almond flavoring which translates as "sugar cookies". I also love toffee and chocolate! I need to muster up the strength to get me into the new year without adding on another 5-10 pounds.