Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Rocketing

image of coastline outside of Seward Alaska.

Our rocketing skiff, heading towards the barely visible shoreline, lunges and twists over the dark icy waves. One moment, we are tossed up into the air, and the next we are jolted downward wondering when the bottom will hit or if we will suddenly find ourselves in an endless freefall. The salty ocean spray quickly soaks into my travel tattered coat, and another cold shiver passes through my bones. If only I could have carried more items in my satchel on this journey, surely it would have been another coat. The light of the day is beginning to illuminate our surroundings enough to realize the shoreline is no California beach. It does not look like a soft silky beach that would welcome us gently with a quiet hello. This was going to be one of Momma’s thundering pats on the back, stout embrace, welcome home. Lord how I miss arriving home after a long journey. If there is going to be another one in my future I best continue to hold on tight.

...






No comments: