Friday, February 12, 2021

Spring Semester Watercolor ~ Project One

 

Watercolor-titled At the Cliffs Edge by Julia M. DJune

Spring semester project one titled - At the Cliffs Edge.
Practicing bravery. Showing up. Being seen.

Happy end of the work week everyone.

...

Update: this piece of mine has been nominated to be in the 2D/3D Art Exhibition at the Hugh McPeck Gallery. Below is my artist statement to go with this entry into the exhibition.

At the Cliff’s Edge
Transparent Watercolor
14x18 inches
Arches 300-pound Cold Press

Searching for my voice, with a pen or with a brush, is a continual labor for structure and balance, a search for technique and individuality. As I practice my skills of persuading watercolor pigments across the paper to form shapes with shadow and depth, sometimes forcefully and other times fluidly, I wonder where it is leading me. To better answer this question, I turn to nature.

Nature can be beautiful, ruthless and evasive, consisting of a multitude of textures and hues. When we stand at the cliff’s edge we never know what we might find. This day we find a grouping of tender wildflowers clinging to a patch of soil hoping everything will turn out well in the end.

...

No comments: