Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Antarctica Episode III ~ Gett'en-er-done






Hey Momma!

Sorry I've been rather incommunicado, we've been pretty busy out here this year. Since our normal generator and power system maintenance guy wants to retire, he's training the field techs this year and next which leaves our new guy, Tim, and I to dig the vaults. Further, we measured almost six feet of snow accumulation over this last year, almost as much snow as the last two years combined! To excavate one of our sensor vaults this year means moving somewhere between 5 and 6 cubic yards of snow. Lots of tiring work, but we're almost done with that part. We have one vault left to lift to the surface and then we need to do sensor calibrations, re-run the power cable, replace the coax radio cables, re-flag everything, and generally get the site ready for another 11 months.

While digging out the first few vaults, the weather was pretty poor: windy and low visibility. I think the wind speed peaked at about 25 mph out here in less-wind bight. I got disoriented working in one of the holes and looked the wrong direction when I popped up to check visibility. I couldn't see camp or even a single flag! Then I turned around and felt silly but slightly justified because I could barely see BOB. Pulling the power cable from under the snow was eerie on the snow machining, heading out into the white void. Good thing I brought my GPS!

We went in to town last weekend for a big Thanksgiving meal and the galley staff really out do themselves every year! On the snow-machine ride in, we saw the tracks of what looks like a penguin scooting on his belly toward Erebus. He must have crossed our road about 10 hours before we crossed his but it was still cool!

Congratulations on the bathroom and the tally! I bet it's a huge relief to finally start getting the bathroom finished. Where is that chunk of change going to take you guys this time?

Anyways, it's about time to start making dinner. I think it's shrimp curry night! We may not have much "cheese and wine", as you say, but we do have plenty of chocolate and wine!

Love ya!
Drew




...

No comments: