Thursday, October 23, 2014

New Town is Turning Around


Do I feel a connection to my new home, to Anchorage? Sometimes I do yet there seems to be a lot of obstacles in my way between comfortable acceptance and pushed away discouragement. My coworkers aren't as forthcoming with the friendliness that I am used to, and since this is where I spend the majority of my time it adds to the level of discouragement I feel. Having lived in Fairbanks for the majority of my life, where there always seems to be an instant connection between you and the new person you have just met, and fast friendships are easy to form, it is a disappointment to find the people of Anchorage to be standoffish, snobby even.

I was warned before we moved here that folks in Anchorage do not welcome new comers to town with open arms but like all naive folks I had high hopes that all would be splendid.

Each day I pray for grace and peace in my heart. Each day I thank the Lord for all his blessings. And each day the time I spend at work gets a little bit better. I am thankful for each day’s joyful moments and will continue to bask in the good that comes my way.

Change is never easy and finding the happy new normal can be a challenge, one that I will strive to rise up to and triumph over.

Turning around my new town into something I want it to be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your positive attitude to try to make each day a good one, but do realize it can be tough when the people you spend a good part of your day with aren't the people you would choose to be with, but realize you need to. No, some changes are tougher than others, but, you know what this step means for you, and you know who is walking beside you as you make these steps forward, AND who will be seeing you at home tonight, unless of course he is on a three week trip to the north slope, then just ignore that last part. Love you, chin up. Grace

Julia Mist DJune said...

You make me smile and laugh and tear up with just a few words of encouragement. You are rock solid BFF. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with Grace. I has been a huge change in your life, but you have the after work companionship to look forward to. That makes it well worth it, and hopefully a little easier. I am sure that there are many people in Anchorage that feel as you do...and the stand-offish snobby ones are most likely transplants that have not learned the value of friendship or simply a warm smile. Don't let it discourage or change YOU!! You are right on in your big, open heart...LOVE YOU!! xoxoxoxoxo nymom

Julia Mist DJune said...

Thank you! I just love my NY Mamma! She's the best hands down. ♡