Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Little Story About an Old Chair

Auntie Karen gave me this old chair a few years back and it was in rather rough shape. It is an old school desk chair that once belonged to the Army at Ft. Wainwright. The slats on the bottom, the ones that are to hold your books, were missing and one of the side rail support pieces that hold in these slats was also broken.

I had to make a new side rail out of a piece of oak. The seat was in three pieces and the entire chair had been left out in the weather at one time. I repaired the seat the first year I had it and cannot find the photos but here are other photos of this refinishing project.


The oak piece of wood was cut to size via Mr. Table Saw and I carefully measured the ends and hand chiseled them.



I did the final fit with Mr. Dremel just before it was glued together.


The chair after the seat and the cracks had been repaired. 
It is awaiting the final sanding.



The side rail had to have the grooves for the slats to ride in, thank you Mr. Router (and Mr. Husband) for the assistance!



Oh how I love to glue things together... glue, glue and more glue...too much glue. Dad would just shake his head and smile at me and say 
'a little dab will do ya'!








Ready to set the week and cure.


After two coats of stain and one coat of poly.





The finished project. 
The side rail on the left bottom of this photo is the one I made.
Hooray for finishing projects!
What have you been working on lately?
Happy weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! You are so impressive in so many ways! Great job! Its' a beauty! Love ny mom xoxo

Julia Mist DJune said...

Awww... thanks... Love you guys too!