Saturday, August 15, 2015

Kicker Rock ~ Snorkeling









Proof! I did it!


Turtle down below.


Little fishy I see you.



Have you ever had to put on a brave face so that no one else could smell your fear? The smell of fear can usually fill the air or in this case the water and that is exactly what I did not want the sharks to think was on the lunch menu. Neither me nor my fear!

Have I snorkeled before? Yes, twice in one day, in a calm bay in shallow water.

Have I ever jumped into any part of the ocean where I could not touch the bottom let alone not be able to really see the bottom? Not on your life! Never! Nope.

Did I think I could do it? I was not really sure at that moment in time but what I did know was I was not going to let anyone else see that I was not going to do it. Play along with the charade was what I kept telling myself. You can look brave on the outside even though you’re a wreck on the inside.

As you can tell I'm not much for swimming in the ocean. I am a fairly good swimmer but I have a fear of sharks, or any large creature that might like to eat me for a light meal. That being said, each day of our adventure I mustered my strength and jumped in! This first day and my first time in the water I did not stay very long on account of the monstrous to me waves and the fact that they were crashing into the rock wall. In fact I was in the water for all told, five minutes, and two of those minutes were taken up trying to claw my way back into the panga, but I jumped in and gave it my best try.

Once the panga had traveled around the right side of the rock and into the calmer waters, leaving the rest of the group to snorkel through the cleft between the rocks, it was time to get back on the horse. My faithful fella encouraged me to put my mask back on and jump in the water.


Take that ocean! Take that fear of all things that might eat me!


2 comments:

Terry said...

Hey Julia! As an experienced scuba diver and snorkeler, I will admit that that first snorkel was nerve-wracking even for me! The water was colder than I expected, and the waves bigger. You were brave and did GREAT! Terry

Julia Mist DJune said...

Your words of encouragement are most welcome, thank you!