Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Message Home from Wake Island


Hey Mom & Dad,

This photo is looking west-ish at the burned out bridge that used to stretch across the water between the main land and Peale Island. I might go swimming there today!

I tried some night sky pictures last night since I could see the milky way by eye. I think I got something but I'm not sure how to pull it out with post-processing tricks. I'll play with it more later. If you have suggestions on how to do it, let me know. I have a 10mm/f4 lens that I'm using but I might try the 35mm/f1.8 tonight to see if the larger aperture offsets the larger focal length.

The stay here is better than I expected, hot but we're taken care of. Lots of the workers are Thai who work here for near US wages and then send money home to their families who are making maybe two dollars a day. They're the ones that make meals too, so there's real Thai food options with lunch and dinner. Although the Thai food is made in volume. That said, it's not bad for lunch. Most of the guys here say it's really spicy but I think they're wimps.

There's even an ice cream machine filled at lunch and breakfast!

The island is also suffering from a rat infestation, as of a few years ago. The military spent 4 million dollars trying to poison them but the EPA apparently didn't let them cover the entire island and the rats repopulated. I just got back from the weekly rat hunt with two old navy guys and the air force commander of the island! It was just like shooting the squirrels out at grandma and grandpa's. They told me to get a "Wake Island Big Game Hunter" pin from the gift shop.

Love you guys, 
Drew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drew, or parents.. Are you on a school function, what are you doing there, besides rat hunting. If I saw a rat infestation, I would be on the next plane out, no matter how blue the water is. Be safe. Love Grace

Julia Mist DJune said...

He was on a trip for his research project for his Masters and from what I understand the planes in and out only flew once a week. But don't worry the "infestation" could be just one rat as they are not native to the island. But I do think there were a just a few more.