Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Projects


It all starts out with Karie using the jig saw to cut the rounds.  I bought some better blades for this project that made the cutting easier.


Add a little danish oil finish and then I tape and paper the back so that the wood does not get damaged during the tiling process.


The center piece is part of a 12x12 inch pre-made mosaic tile.  I cut off the corners and keep the round.  The small glass blocks are also a 12x12 tile flat and I cut off each row, clean the edges with a knife and trim the webbing that holds them all together so each glass block will curve around the circle inner tile.



Once all the tiles are ready I use tile adhesive to set the tiles on the wood cutout piece.



This part of the project is one of the best parts as each tile needs to be set just so for that 'as close to perfect look' I can obtain.  The trick is knowing when to stop touching it and walk away.  Karie has a hard time with this part and needs encouragement from the husband and boys to step away from the project.


Applying the grout ~ another one of my favorite parts of the project ~ it's messy ~ Karie likes to make a mess!


Sealer is applied and the tiles are now semi-gloss gorgeous shiny!



Tile trivets for everyone!

3 comments:

CarolJo said...

WOW! Those are awesome. I can relate to the "just walk away part" Ha!Ha!Ha! If I ever have my own kitchen again you can make me one...

Julia Mist DJune said...

Don't you mean when... when you have your next new home! You bet I will make one for you. I would however have to hand deliver it :)

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

OH MY GOSH!! Gotta add your projects to my 2012 to-do list! these are simply awesome!!