Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Where are You Local


When each new day dawns I strive to be a better version of myself than I was yesterday, with this goal in mind it seems that every day I read, hear or watch something that creates a spark within me that adds to the person that I am seeking to become. Watching the TED talk from Taiye Selasi – Don’t ask where I’m from, ask where I’m a local – was today's spark that I want to share with you.

***

"History and cultures are real, countries are invented."

"Where you are from can be defined by the three R’s - rituals, relationships and restrictions. Rituals in your daily lives and what they are and what they represent to you. Rituals are what is familiar that makes you feel at home. Relationships – the people who shape your weekly emotional experience. Restrictions – where are you able to live – what passport do you hold.”

And finally the home run of sparks: “The question 'where are you from' is code for why are you here.” Her answer, “My experience is where I am from” – Taiye Selasi

***

A few other people that I know from Fairbanks who are also now living in Anchorage say that Anchorage will eventually become home but it never truly feels right. I feel as if I am an immigrant in my own home state. I am separated from where I am local by my three R’s.

It is also worth noting that when we travel and are asked where are we from, we say Alaska. The other person sometimes answers, oh the United States. We then again say no, we are from Alaska. There really is a difference.

So my friends, where are you local?


No comments: