Saturday, January 17, 2015

Happy Birthday Grandpa


Today is my Grandpa’s birthday, he would have been 92. We miss him so awfully much, and each time I drive by the blue post box a bit of me winces because I do not have a postcard for him to place in the outgoing mail. In the photo above are most of the postcards that I have mailed my Grandpa since his dear wife, my beloved Grandma, passed away in October of 2009. The bottom center right are from 2009 (you can’t see all of them in this photo), the left line is 2010, second to the left is 2011 (notice there are three months missing; January, February, and March), the center line is 2012, next one over is 2013 and the last row on the right is 2014. Grandpa passed away in November of 2014.

The time difference between here and Iowa sometimes made phone calls difficult to make so I would take a part of my work day and write Grandpa a little note. Sometimes they were filled with family news from the northland and sometimes they were just gibberish from a Granddaughter to her treasured Grandpa. But either way they were my way of letting him know that he was loved and always on my mind and in my heart. I hope that they helped to keep the loneliness away, if only for a little while.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

***

Thank you dear Auntie Marcia and Cousin Emily (as they came my way at two separate occasions) for ensuring these postcards made it back to Alaska as they carry a lot of memories and love for me.

Share the love and live your life with joy in your heart!  Always!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration you are for all of us to be a little kinder and take a little time to tell someone we love that they are being thought of. You are a great granddaughter. You have a very warm and thoughtful heart. Love Grae

Julia Mist DJune said...

Thank you dear heart! I did learn a thing or two from your example too!

Christine said...

Wow...you are blessed with some wonderful keepsakes. Lucky to have all those letters to hold dear.

Julia Mist DJune said...

Thanks Christine! Hope all is well in your piece of the North woods.