Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Belong


Where do I belong? This is something that I have asked myself many times over the years, and as my life has grown, and changed so has the answer. I am not just talking about what community do I call home, it goes just a bit deeper. Currently my question of belonging is centered more around extended family.

Living in Alaska and a Brazilian miles away from our family of origin there are only a few of us that are lucky enough to have extended family that also live here. But it is a big state and sometimes it is a full day’s travel to get to someone’s house. Some of us will go out of our way to visit our extended family. If it is important enough to you, you will make the drive and put in the time.

If there is a big event, a wedding, a graduation or milestone anniversary then it is customary and polite to invite family. Family and extended family alike and as I recently read on Twolfgcd’s Blog post Invitation, “It doesn't take much. And somehow, just by having an invitation offered to us, we feel like we “belong”, or at the very least, that our company is desired and wanted. In this world that can be so very hard and indifferent, that is a nice thing.”

To someone with a lonely broken heart an invitation can change everything. Have you forgotten anyone? Did you send out all the invitations?


No comments: