Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Unexpeted Gifts


Unexpected gifts cross ones path every day. One fine morning I was reading Christine's blog, Meet me at the gates. Her family visited Little Falls Minnesota and went to the Charles Lindbergh museum. But then she says something total foreign to me, Charles Lindbergh fathering children from 'secretive women'.

I may live at the edge of nowhere and be a bit unaware of news from the outside but being an aviation person I found this information a shocker too. Given that this information is only a few years old I will cut myself some slack.

My unexpected gifts is that while exploring this new fact I discovered that Anne Morrow Lindbergh has written and published well into 1980. I have read her earlier works ~ North to the Orient and just recently purchased Listen! The Wind on our trip to Minnesota in October of 2008. We found it in a shop in La Sueur that primarily focuses on the history of the Minnesota Canning Company and all things Jolly Green Giant.

At any rate last week I picked up a copy of her book Gift From The Sea first published in 1955 and just recently republished as a 50th anniversary. The gift that I received was reading peaceful words on love and marriage. Solitude and contentment. Wise meditations on how to balance your obligations to family, friends, housework and work outside the home. I am half way through with the book but wanted to share with you her words.

Simplify your life! Spend moments of solitude to refill your cup and restore your energy!

Pick up a copy for yourself and enjoy a peaceful summer evening reading.
...

No comments: